Friday, October 11, 2013

Technoloy Podcast Interview


Today I completed my first podcast. This was a difficult assignment for me since I really wasn’t exactly sure what a podcast was before I did the readings and assignments for Module 4! I didn’t realize that podcasts are primarily audio and had never even heard of the term vodcast for video! I was unsure if I had the proper software available to complete my assignment. Therefore I did a lot of preparation for this assignment. I am so grateful that I did. For me this was a true active learning experience. Not only did I learn quite a bit from my discussion with Dr. Eileen Roark, Biology Professor at Lincoln College of New England,  whom I chose to interview for my podcast, but also by experimenting with new software which I downloaded and discussions with fellow classmates as well. Thank you to Shandi and Lynn who highly recommended Camtasia. It was fun to experiment with new software. I didn’t end up using it, but I want to experiment with Camtasia and hopefully create a future project utilizing it.
When I first met with Dr. Roark we quickly discovered some of the pitfalls of technology integration. We met at the college library. We found that the server was down and neither of our laptops was able to connect. Since the internet wasn’t necessary for the interview, we decided to move on to the interview part of the project.  Dr. Roark wanted to demonstrate some of the technology she uses but we found since she uses a Mac and I have a PC that some of what she wanted to share with me was more difficult than anticipated.  Frustrating though some of this was, I’m actually quite grateful for the experience and the knowledge that I obtained from hands on learning.
I also learned a lot from the interview portion of the assignment as well.  I found myself at first needing to erase and record again constantly because I didn’t like the way I sounded, -funny how that works. I was self-conscience about what I would sound like, yet when in a classroom setting I trip over my words all the time and don’t think anything of it! Hmm? I found that to be an interesting observation. I think I let my nerves get to me and ended the interview too abruptly. Next time I would try to find a better way to gently glide into the end. I think the whole thing sounds a little too scripted. Over all I am so glad that I had this experience and am excited to find ways to make it better and hopefully implement podcasting into the courses that I teach.

King, K. P. (2011). In The professor's guide to taming technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.

Click below to listen to my very first podcast:

TechInterview.podomatic.com



  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn,

    I enjoyed listening to your podcast interview! I think your format of using a true podcast was really interesting and allowed me to focus on the information without being distracted by other stimuli (i.e. pictures, a video, etc..). I found the information that you and your interviewee covered really interesting. I also have experience using some of the online resources that Pearson provides and I think they are great! Thanks so much for sharing!
    - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,
    I am going to mirror Amanda's thoughts on the podcast. It was a great job. I liked the process you went on and the interviewer covered all topics greatly. I like the way that you both covered the bundle package for the course seems to work better for the students better than buying the textbook initially by itself to save a few bucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words of encouragement Amanda and John.

      Delete
  3. Great Interview Carolyn.

    I know you said you were nervous, but that did not come through in the interview. Just thought you'd want to know that :)

    I found Dr. Roark comments about how she can predict performance based on a students engagement with the online materials very interesting. I think this presents a strong case for the value a blended teaching approach, that tapsinto these types of technologies, in helping students understand the material better.

    I agree with Carolyn that listening via podcast allowed to focus on the content a bit better than I seem to with videos. I will remember this in the future when I decide to use such tools in my teaching roles.

    Thumbs up!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, Holly. I like the blended teaching approach that you recommend. This may offer students the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline:

    I enjoyed listening to your interview with Dr. Eileen Roark. I really like how she talks highly of interactive and hands-on activities and quizzes in her curriculum.

    I believe Dr. Roark utilizes a good variety of assignments in her course. I like how she encourages her students to be more of active learners versus passive. Additionally, I think it is valuable how she encourages her students to learn from themselves while serving more as the facilitator and allowing the learners to reflect on what they do not already know and strengthening their skills. I find this a good example of self-directed learning.

    What did you find the most interesting about your interview with Dr. Eileen Roark?

    I find it interesting how times have significantly changed in recent year with purchasing textbooks and moving more towards technology instead and how students find they are “hooked” on it after they try it. I think this notion can apply to the concept of not knowing how good something can be until you try it. Like Dr. Roark indicates, sometimes students do not find the value in the technology until it is required. As an adult learner myself, I am guilty of this. We become comfortable and confident with particular types of technology, that when we discover other communication channels, it can sometimes be difficult to “make the change.” However, there comes the point when the advantages and disadvantages of adopting “new” technology should be evaluated.

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete